Underrepresented Trainee Scholarships
Keystone Symposia is offering scholarships to Students and Postdoctoral fellows in the life sciences from underrepresented backgrounds. These scholarships, of up to 1,200 USD each, are to be used to help defray the expenses associated with conference attendance, including meeting registration fee, abstract fee, airfare (restrictions may apply based on funding source), ground transportation and lodging costs. Receipts will be required to receive reimbursement for travel expenses other than registration fees.NOTE: Keystone Symposia will pay the registration fee when the scholarship is awarded to reduce out of pocket expenses, and the amount will be deducted from the total award.
Applications may be submitted for both a Keystone Symposia Scholarship and an Underrepresented Trainee Scholarship; however, only one scholarship can be awarded. Scholarship recipients will be selected based on the quality of science of the abstract and the relevance of the abstract to the conference topic. Only one application per abstract is accepted. Only one award per lab will be allocated.
To be eligible for an Underrepresented Trainee Scholarship, you must be:
- A US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- A graduate student or postdoctoral fellow currently enrolled in an academic program
- From one of the following underrepresented backgrounds:
- Hispanic American or Latin American
- African American
- Native American or Alaska Native
- Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- Bicultural (claims parental heritage to one of the above populations in the United States)
- An applicant is eligible to receive one award per meeting year (July 1st - June 30th).
Criteria for Abstract Review:
- Relevance to the meeting topic
- Significance of the scientific question and results
- Organization (e.g., the abstract has a clear beginning, middle and end)
- Grammar and spelling
- Clarity of scientific presentations
- Clear question or hypothesis
- Sufficient background
- The experimental approach and rationale for the approach are clear
- The results are clearly presented
- The interpretation and conclusions are reasonable and logical
If you are eligible and wish to be considered for a scholarship, you should complete the following by the scholarship deadline for the meeting you wish to attend. It is recommended you begin these steps in advance of the deadline date to ensure completion.
- Complete Underrepresented Trainee application
- Submit an abstract for the meeting to which you are applying (with paid abstract fee)
- Have your mentor submit a letter via our website to verify your status as a student or postdoc
Attention NIH employees: Keystone Symposia processes scholarships as a reimbursement. Please note that if your employment status with NIH precludes receiving awards as a reimbursement, your award will consist only of registration paid "in kind". You will forfeit the remainder of the award. We will not be able to pay "in kind" for such expenses as lodging and transportation.
NOTE: If you do not see the meeting you would like to apply for in the drop down below, the scholarship deadline has passed.
You must to our web site (more steps will follow when you are logged in) in order to start the application process.