Note: Several conferences are being converted to virtual meeting format. Please refer to the “View Global Health Series” button below to view program updates. For virtual meetings, which require no travel or lodging, GHTAs will provide a free registration.
Global Health Travel Awards (GHTAs) bring scientists from low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) to select Keystone Symposia meetings, where they may participate in discussions on the forefront of science and medicine. The program aims to provide researchers from diverse backgrounds and limited resource settings with the opportunities afforded by attending top tier scientific conferences, including:
- Insights into the latest scientific, technological and clinical advances and innovative new directions.
- Sharing their work with global research leaders.
- Invaluable networking and career development opportunities.
- Educational training on the state and direction of the field.
- Pre-Meeting Workshop training to prepare GHTA winners for the conference experience.
Diverse voices are also a critical part of meetings focused on global health problems (see our Global Health Series), providing invaluable insights into scientific and public health challenges, and how to overcome them effectively and sustainably within the context of local culture, environment, public health, and medical resources. These global colleagues are valued and crucial partners in our mission to advance the life sciences and accelerate discoveries that benefit society.
These awards are open to students, fellows, career scientists and clinicians from LMICs, and are made possible in part through Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation support, and other global partners. The awards cover conference-related expenses, including: meeting registration, lodging, airfare and ground transportation from host airport to the resort. Awardees should be prepared for any unexpected costs of travel that may arise, such as those associated with flight changes, visa application fees, etc. The awardee accepts responsibility for such costs.
The amount of the awards will vary, depending on where awardees are coming from and the extent of their need.
- Awards will be based on review of application content by the CEO and/or CSO of Keystone Symposia.
- The number of awards is contingent on funding received for this program.
Note: Please check specific conference page under the Conference List for any additional financial aid opportunities. Underrepresented Trainee Scholarships and Early-Career Travel Awards are also available.
View Global Health Series
Global Health Travel Award Criteria
Main criteria for selection are as follows:
- Applicant is from an LMIC (may be working abroad but ultimately planning to return to work in an LMIC), with emphasis placed on nations affected by the health problem of focus for meetings on global health challenges.
- The application includes a clear indication of how the applicant's participation will have a broad impact on the applicant and his or her institution, e.g. initiation of new collaborations, teaching, etc.
- The application includes a clear indication that the applicant is both working in the area covered by the meeting and making a clinically or scientifically significant contribution to the area.
- Consideration is also given to diversity with regard to institutions and countries of origin.
To be eligible for a Global Health Travel Award, you must:
- Individuals originating from and returning to LMICs, or individuals currently studying in one country, but planning to return to work in an LMIC.
- Per the terms of this award, employees of the National Institutes of Health are not eligible.
- Per the terms of this award, an applicant is eligible to receive one award per meeting year (July 1st - June 30th).
If you are eligible and wish to be considered for an award, complete the following by the Global Health Travel Award Deadline for the meeting you wish to attend. Once each step is completed, the following text will appear, "Step Completed!" If you do not see this text, then you have not completed the step.
Note: Questions 10 & 11 of the application will not apply for virtual meetings. Please enter N/A.
We will not accept any parts of the application via email or fax. Everything needs to be completed through your account online.
Please click here to view the Frequently Asked Questions for Global Health Travel Awards. If you have any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must Log in to our website (more steps will follow when you are logged in) in order to start the application process.
Apply for a Travel Award